COVID-19 Temporary Express Permit Process
The City of Maywood has proclaimed the existence of a local emergency in response to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) public health emergency. The proclamation enhances the City of Maywood's ability to access emergency resources at the state and federal level to assist with its novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) response.
In an abundance of caution and for the wellbeing of the community, the City of Maywood will be issuing online Express Permits for work that does not require a plan check.
If the application for the permit is approved for issuance, an email will be sent to you with instructions for payment and authorization to conduct the work. Inspections for all permitted work will be conducted on Tuesdays only. Please review the following lists to find out if your job is eligible for an online Express Permit. Call 323-562-5723 for an application.
Building Inspections are done mornings and afternoons on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To set an inspection, call 323-562-5723.
- Window and door change-out (same size and type) for residential buildings.
- Kitchen/bathroom remodel for residential buildings (no structural changes).
- Re-stucco for single-family dwellings and duplexes only.
- Re-roof with Class A or B material weighing less than 6 pounds per square foot.
- Installation of security bars for dwellings/apartments. Quick-release required in bedrooms per California Building Code Part 12, Chapter 12-3.
- Replace existing siding with new stucco for single-family dwellings and duplex only.
- Replace drywall (no new walls added) for single-family dwellings and duplexes only.
- Masonry walls not exceeding 72 inches in height, using the City standard detail. In the R-3 (residential) zone, solid masonry walls cannot exceed 36 inches in the front yard setback.
- Electrical panel installation with a voltage of less than 600 volts and up to 400 amps (main switch or subpanel) in an existing office, retail or residential building only.
- Rewiring or adding devices to existing electrical circuits for receptacles, telephone and communication outlets.
- Temporary Power Pole for less than 600 volts and up to 400 amps of load.
- Swimming pool wiring and luminaire
- New Telephone and computer wiring - voice and data
- Special (equipment) inspection for less than 600 volts and up to 400 amps load and 60 cycles
- Meter re-connection
- Repair of damaged wiring
- Smoke detectors within apartment units, houses and duplexes and other residential units
- Carbon monoxide detectors within apartment units, houses and duplexes and other residential units
- Electrical installation for electric vehicle charging in single family dwellings with up to 400 amps of service. (Including any needed charging equipment, service upgrade, receptacle and associated wiring)
- Comfort heating and comfort cooling [air conditioning units (A/C)] installations where the aggregate Btu/h input is less than 500,000 Btu/h (approximately 41 tons).
- Environmental ventilation in buildings with an aggregate capacity of comfort heating or comfort cooling of less than 500,000 Btu/hr. (approximately 41 tons).
- Refrigeration systems with Group A1 refrigerants with aggregate combined compressor horsepower of less than 100.
- Gas heaters (unit and wall heaters) and gas furnaces (including FAUs) less than 500,000 Btu per hour.
- Replacing A/C units with the same size and type.
- Ductwork alteration or addition in buildings that do not have a smoke control system.
- Relocation of A/C units within the same building.
- Relocation of fans for environmental ventilation within the same building.
- Addition of air conditioning equipment having a rating of 5 tons or less.
- Addition of general ventilation exhaust fans having a rating of 2000 cfm or less.
- Non-Engineered domestic water systems, new or re-pipe, with 1 1/2 inches or less water service
- Replacing plumbing fixtures
- Adding plumbing fixtures
- Replacing underground water pipes with the same size and material. The existing pipe must remain in place, uncovered until verified by the Maywood field inspector.
- Backflow prevention device in water mains 1 1/2 inches or less in diameter
- Sewer cap
- Sewer connection permit
- Sewer alteration, repair or replacement
- Low-pressure gas piping systems, new or replacement, with up to 10 outlets
- Replacing water heaters
- Adding earthquake valves same size as existing gas main
- Installing or replacing lawn sprinklers control valves with Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB)