The Building Division is responsible for enforcing the provisions of the adopted International Building Code, California Building Code, and applicable laws and ordinances for the design construction, alteration, demolition, repair and use of any building or structure within the City, except for any work located in a public right-of-way. The Building Division is also responsible in issuing building permits and performing site inspections to insure compliance with pertinent codes, laws and ordinances.
Building Permits are only issued Monday-Friday from 8:00 am. to 10:00 am.
Building Development Detail Handouts (PDF Format).
For questions regarding building issues, please contact the Building Inspector at (323) 562-5723.
Building Department Recycling Forms
Certificate of Occupancy
The City ensures that all structures are safe for occupancy and use through the issuance of building and occupancy permits. Permits are required for all new construction and in most cases for building modifications, replacements, and remodeling. Even if the lease space that you have selected requires no remodeling, all new businesses in the City of Maywood must first apply for an occupancy permit.
Click here: Application for Occupancy
Advisories & Code Updates
Important Notice Regarding the 2016 Building Standards
If you are a City of Maywood property owner or an architect, engineer, designer, or contractor that performs work within the City, please be advised that the City will be enforcing the following Building Standards, effective January 1, 2017.
- 2016 California Building Code
- 2016 California Residential Code
- 2016 California Green Building Standards Code
- 2016 California Mechanical Code
- 2016 California Electrical Code
- 2016 California Plumbing Code
- 2016 California Fire Code
- 2016 California Energy Efficiency Standards
- 2016 California Existing Building Code
- 1997 Uniform Housing Code (Chapter 5, 6,7,8,9, and 10)
All new plan review applications submitted after December 31, 2016 will be required to comply with the above referenced code editions.
Codes are available for purchase from the International Code Council, and digital copies, except the Building Energy Efficiency Standards, may be accessed at http://www.bsc.ca.gov/codes.aspx (link is external) under the heading: “2016 Triennial Edition (effective January 1,2017)”.
Building Standards Currently Enforced
All new plan review application submitted between December 31, 2013 and before January 1, 2017 are required to comply with the code editions referenced below.
- 2013 California Building Code
- 2013 California Residential Code
- 2013 California Green Building Standards Code
- 2013 California Mechanical Code
- 2013 California Electrical Code
- 2013 California Plumbing Code
- 2013 California Fire Code
- 2013 Building and Energy Efficiency Standards (effective July 1, 2014.)
- 2013 California Existing Building Code
- 1997 Uniform Housing Code (Chapters 5, 6,7,8,9, and 10.)
Contact the Building and Planning Department for any questions (323) 562-5723 during the hours Monday - Friday from 8am - 4:30pm